Thursday, March 25, 2010

No One (A Poem)

Who knew?
A girl like me.
Someone like you.

And who'd've thought?
With eyes that sparkle
And dimples like mine
With earth-shattering laughter
And nothing to hide

You never knew
How could you?

Even now
No one
Even now

Open books
Open-faced
Open eyes
Open lies
Open like a 7-11 at midnight

Open means "Come on in"
It's an invitation
An open invitation

Me, I'm like a walk-in closet
Telling everyone I meet,
Begging, really:

"Come on in
Hang up your coat
Kick off your shoes
Peruse
the selection
And stay awhile"

Know me

Legitimize me
Solidify me
Stabalize and emmulsify
Submerge me in the depths of your understanding
Wrap me in the folds of the fabric of your affection
Spoon feed me the morsels of your limitless compassion

Know me
Love me

You never knew
How could you?

Even now
No one knows

Even now
No one loves

Even with eyes that sparkle and shine
And dimples like mine
Even with laughter,
Or self-deprecation

Even with
Nothing

To hide

You don't know me
You think you do
But you don't

Why would you hate me?
If you knew?

If you knew the salt of my tears?
Or the pain in my wrist
This carpal tunnel poetry binge
This dire need for self-expression

If you knew,
Why would you laugh at me?

If you knew how long
It takes to put on the make-up
And feel proud of this face

Why would you slander
That small ounce of pride?

Why?

But you never knew
How could you?

Even now
No one
Even now

No one

No comments:

Post a Comment