Monday, August 22, 2011

The Waterfall's Magic - A Poem

Watching boys jump off cliffs
Hitting water with a sound like breaking glass
Egging them on like I have no fear
But I do
I'm afraid of heights
And in ways,
I'm afraid of you

Safe beyond the realm of the splash zone
Out of reach and out of touch
I'm saying things to him that I won't remember
But I do
Remember thinking them about you

Watching green light filter down
Through tree leaves and over things
Like a liquid haze
A fog descends
A love spell for when this world ends

And the world is dappled green and gold
Like my eyes are in the sunshine
And I try my best to show their colors
In the nighttime
Freckles fade and so do dreams
But magic stayed

And I feel real today
But like a mermaid
Perched and flouncing
Highlights in the forest shade
Daydreams of themes long overplayed

But I feel real today

And the world is dappled green and gold
And slightly gray
The rain comes but we all stay
Huddled up under towels like child's play
Next we'll build a fort and skip away
To play tag like it was yesterday

And I'm watching boys jump off cliffs
Auspicious
Aloof
And oh so very coy
But boy
How delicious
It is to see you smile

And I feel real today

But the green and golden world
Is turning all gray
And I'm afraid the waterfall of memories
That come as cascades
Will dissipate
I anticipate
It
Will go away

But I'm egging you on like I have no fear
But I do
I'm afraid of heights
And in ways,
I'm afraid of you

Afraid of what to do without two

So I take a jump off the waterfall
To come to

Cold water washes all the magic away
But then again,
I guess that's what makes it magic anyway
The fact that it doesn't stay

©2011 ~strawberry-goodness

4 comments:

  1. Miss,
    Excuse my interruption. I wish only to tell you how captivated I am by your words and the vulnerable nature of them. Poetry too has a way with me as no other literary form. I'm glad to know with you as well.

    My best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the interruption, and the compliment. It's nice to know I have found an audience. Poetry, even when it's vulnerable, is always intended for an audience.

    I read the two poems I found on your blog and found beauty and pain in them that I could identify with. Thank you for that. It's always nice to find other poets.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan,
    I just quickly wanted to tell you that I've read so many more of your poems and I cannot begin to tell you how impressed I am! They are all so alluring and wrought with talent. I hope you made it through Irene with no issues.

    Kind thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I'm pleased as punch. I am fortunate to remain unaffected by the hurricane, but I have many friends without power as a result so I will pass along your kind thoughts to them.

    Hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete