Monday, April 19, 2010

Cornerstone

It's really quite nice to work in the food industry again. I'm relieved to have a job at all, much less one with full-time hours, bountiful tips, a hardworking team of dedicated co-workers, and a lovely work ethic. So basically - I'm thrilled.

Cornerstone Restaurant is a local establishment that's been here in Asheville for 15 years. Lisa, the server who trained me, has been serving there for 9 years. The newest server apart from myself has been there for 2 years.

It's owned by a Greek family. Mama - yes, we really call her that - makes all the homemade desserts in the kitchen. Dean is her son, and the actual owner, and he's super nice. Mama is adorable, standing a whopping 5-foot-nothing, and speaks with a thick Greek accent. She's a morning person.

It's refreshing to take pride in my place of work. The entire facility is super clean, and well-run, and just fantastic. I'm not at all appalled by the behind-the-scenes aspect like I am with other restaurants. The food is fresh not frozen, made-to-order, and affordable. Huge portions. I give out to-go boxes like they're going out of style. Our coffee and iced tea tastes better than any of the of the other eateries out there because we clean everything so thoroughly and so often, which includes the tea urns and coffee makers.

Every day of the week has a special side-work in addition to greeting and serving patrons, and your normal side-work, which is based on the order in which you arrived to work. I'm usually last in, so I get the Dressing Cooler, all the dressings, the condiments, and their associated shelves for cleaning and whatnot. I also have to sweep the Line before I leave, and clean my tables as usual.

Mondays are Booth Day, which means that we take the booths apart and wipe them down and wipe down every inch of the tables and chairs. Every week we do this. It's amazing. No other restaurant does this. And you can tell, man. It's gross.

Tuesdays are Blinds, Lamps and Ceiling Fans Day. We wipe all those things down, as well as dust everything we can get our hands on.

Wednesdays are Clean-the-Line Day. We literally clean the hell out of the Server's Line. You should see it, it's incredible. Scrubbing, sweeping, mopping, everything moved out of it's typical place so you can get behind it and under it. Every week.

Spic and span. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment