Saturday, February 20, 2010

When I Grow Up...




I want to be a therapist. I want to help people. I'm good at it. I have an intuitive sort of leg-up on people's problems. Insight. I want to help people. I want to help people help themselves. I want to assist people in understanding themselves and their world. I want to spread love, health and happiness. I want a small case-load, I want to know my people. Spend time with them. I hate the in-out system of medical/mental health. It's impersonal, impractical, and moronic. You can't help someone if you don't know the extent of the issue. We need to learn to listen, really listen. Nobody listens anymore. We're all so focused on ourselves. Our own problems. It's so limited. The best way to solve your own problems is to get out of your head and see things from someone else's point-of-view, to help someone else with their problem. The best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else. Practice what you preach, right?

I have to finish undergrad and then put myself through lots of grad school in order to achieve this goal. I also want to teach. To profess, actually. At university. I want to be a mentor.

I want to be a parent. Parents are mentors. I want babies. I want to mentor those babies. I want to stay at home with my babies. I love cooking and cleaning and organizing and teaching. I want to home-school my kids. Not to shelter them, but to help them blossom and grow. The public school system is so messed up. I think kids can learn more, and faster than we know. Especially early on. Especially when you present it in the right light. Foreign language, any sort of theory, math, motor skills, philosophy, spelling... Anything.

Kids are amazing like that.

1 comment:

  1. After reading these first two entires about school, I think that you will like grad school. It is, different/harder/easier, it is just MORE than undergrad. I loved my undergrad career at UNCA, but I think that has to do with my major, cause the psychology classes there did not make me feel the same way. The art building was my home though. Even with the tear-evoking critics, I knew that I belonged there.

    With grad school every class is getting you to your goal, every class is a part of your goal. Not as much bullshit. So keep it up, make it to grad school, and it will all be different. At least it is for me.

    ReplyDelete